Search This Blog

Friday, August 18, 2017

Carry on Gentlemen

I guess I have always liked globes well enough, they have a nice presentation and they are fun to spin, but they just aren't very big, so if you are looking for Cedar Rapids, a very nice little town, you are never going to be able to find it.  I like an atlas.  Even though I have been paging through them all my life I can always while away an hour or two just paging through them and I am not even talking about specialty atlases, like WW II or ancient civilizations.  And I like the those little dots that illustrate where the corn of the world is grown or where the people of French descent live in Chicago.  If I am thinking of buying a history book I first page through it for maps and if it doesn't have any I put it back on the shelf.

Of course there is very little water as a percentage of the Earth's mass, but then there is not that much crust as a percentage of the Earth's mass either.  We are living on the skim of a very hot pudding.  Prompted by the intellectual inquiry of the Beaglestonian (keep on scourging Old Dog, I know I tend to play a little fast and loose with boring facts to make my point, which I like to think is the greater truth, but you know us poets) I discovered the Kola Superdeep Borehole, the deepest hole in the Earth at just under five miles, barely a quarter of the depth of the crust and they had to stop because it got too damn hot.


I don't doubt that we have an anti missile defense sort of thing.  I doubt that it works.  Oh it might work in the sense that if they do some kind of experiment on a sunny day where they know where the other missile is coming from, and maybe in an actual missile attack it can knock down a few, but in a real attack plenty of missiles are getting through.  I doubt that the good folks of Guam rest easy knowing that THAAD is there.  Beagles' time bending warning to the guy on the dune is a more practical defense than any THAAD assemblage.

What is it with Beagles and cannibalism?  Since none of us Beaglestonians can trace our ancestry back to the civility of the Roman Empire, likely our ancestors were eating each other in some form a couple thousand years ago.  Internet research does not give a clear picture of when us white guys stopped eating each other, but you know if the three of us were in a boat in the middle of the ocean with no fishing pole, the first of us to fall asleep would likely become supper. so it goes.

There are tales of Micronesian head hunters but were the Indonesians and Malaysians taking part in that?.  Well who knows.  They did shut down Beagles' favorite social networking site, so clearly they are capable of anything.  Let me just say for the record that I am sure they are all fine upstanding people and that there is very little meat to be had in the annals of Beaglestonia.


Were we talking about Midnight Express in the Institute, or was that Old Dog and me in a seminar?It's been a while since I have seen Old Dog in a seminar.  At any rate it is sitting in my machine now and I will be watching it Saturday night, but I won't be able to report on it until next Thursday because I will have been off watching the moon eating the sun.  Weather forecasts are iffy.  What can you do?  Carry on Gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment