Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Beagles Speaks - Kim Backs Down

With Windows 10 there is a checkerboard display that comes up when you click on the "start" button down in the lower left hand corner. Each one of the squares is a short cut to news, weather, sports, and a bunch of other stuff. I usually check the weather report before signing off for the night, just to see if it's different from the one I'm going to see on The Weather Channel, which I always view before going to sleep and upon waking up in the morning. (I know, I should get a life, but who's got time for that?) As I was checking the weather, I noticed something in the "news" square about Kim backing down from his threat to nuke Guam, so I clicked on that and read the whole article. It seems the Red Chinese threatened to cut off their shipments of coal and food to North Korea, but Kim said that had nothing to do with it. The only logical explanation, then, is that Kim must have read my blog post and realized that we are done playing games with his regime. Invoking the spirit of Douglas MacArthur certainly didn't hurt either. Okay, that's settled. What's next on the agenda?

My experience with chickens seems to indicate that they indeed can be conditioned to display certain behaviors on cue. We had an aggressive rooster once who needed to be put in his place. When he advanced on me in a threatening manner one day, I grasped my unzipped jacket with both hands and flapped it like a pair of wings while crowing and stamping my feet. The rooster got the message and never bothered me again. The unintended consequence was that the hens seemed to think that I was the new cock of the walk. Whenever they saw me coming, they would shuffle their feet and squat, just like they did when the rooster approached them. I never took them up on their offers, and they eventually gave up on me, but it looked bad for awhile there. My hypothetical wife, being confident of my fidelity, was mildly amused, but I'm glad that nobody from the paper mill found out or I would never have heard the end of it.

I never was much of a science fiction fan. I used to watch Star Trek, but I don't have any of it on DVD. I have read "1984", and watched part of a movie version of "Brave New World". I didn't see the end because I had to go in to work, but my hypothetical wife told me how it turned out. I saw an old animated version of "Animal Farm" when PBS ran it s a classic. Those kinds of books are called "dystopian novels", being the opposite of utopian novels.

Speaking of cars:
A well dressed middle aged woman asked a young supermarket bag boy to help her load her groceries into her car. As they walked through the parking lot, the woman told the handsome lad, "You know, I have an itchy pussy." Without hesitation, the boy replied, "You'll have to point it out to me ma'am, all those Japanese cars look alike to me."


No comments:

Post a Comment