Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Cowboy Poetry

I have heard of cowboy poetry on PBS television. I remember seeing that annual convention they have in Elko, Nevada, and maybe a couple other shows like that. I never thought of Robert Service as being a cowboy poet but, after reading the article on Wiki about the subject, I agree that he kind of is. The Wiki article says that the hoity-toity literary critics look down their noses at cowboy poetry, which may be one reason I like it. Critics! What do they know?

We see the Northern Lights in this part of the country from time to time. You might be able to see them in Chicago as well if you could get away from the lights of the city. Come to think of it, I haven't seen them very often since we moved to this house. One reason might be that I seldom go outside at night anymore, and another reason might be that the surrounding trees block a clear view of the horizon. To see them really well you need to get out in a dark open field. They don't occur every night, just when the solar flares are kicking up a fuss. Our local TV weather man usually tells us when conditions will be right. If yours doesn't, then maybe you don't get them that far south.

No comments:

Post a Comment