Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Why the days of retirees are just packed.

Oh there are always wars going on, the war on drugs, the war on crime, the war on cancer, the war on dangling participles.   Of course the word war is way overused, but you know what is worse these days is warrior.  Everybody is a warrior for something, except for those guys (and gals) who are just plain warriors, warriors for warriorism I guess.  The reason I used the term phony war was to liken the wars on Trump and Obamacare to the phony war after Hitler invaded Poland and England and France declared war and didn't do anything for a couple of months. 

The anti Trump war appears to be mostly among pundits, who come up with these schemes but the only ones the candidates like are the ones where everybody else but them drops out.  A more serious one is on the part of party apparatchiks who are trying to figure out how to set up the convention to avoid Trump taking it, but then of course there will be riots.  And of course the war on Obamacare was bogus from the get go because actually fighting it would mean having their own plan, which would mean coming to terms with each other, which would mean compromising which is a dirty word among republicans.  In short it would be hard work and the republicans hate hard work maybe more than they hate compromising.  It is much easier to just piss and moan about everything Obama does.

The people I know who like Obamacare are glad to pay to get it because the other option is to not pay and not have it.  I had a couple chest x-rays lately and the bill was $500 each.  $500, breathe in - click - breath out, $500.  Of course i didn't pay that, I have medicare and supplemental insurance.  And of course medicare and my supplemental didn't pay that.  They have already made a deal with the hospital about what they will pay and my guess is it's a good deal less than $500.  Joe Sixpack without insurance pays the $500.  That's why it's a good deal to have insurance.  I too spent a few years without insurance before medicare chipped in, but it was a risky move, any moderate health crisis and the both of us would have been in debt the rest of our lives.

Geez, why didn't you have your wedding in some kind of neutral place so your in laws could attend?  Well none of my business.  I remember now that that Catholic Protestant marriage used to be a big deal.  Don't both sides try to get the other side to convert, and failing that there is some kind of thing about how the kids should be raised?  Well your kid became a wiccan so I guess that all worked out.

You know homosexuality was big with the Greeks and the Romans didn't mind it all, it's gone back and forth over the years and across cultures.  Growing up on the southwest side of Chicago in the 50s it was certainly beyond the pale.  I get that icky feeling about gays too.  I am a good liberal and I believe they should have all the rights of us heteros but I flinch when i see guys kissing in movies.  Well I suppose they feel the same way about different sex couplings,  I wonder if they were in the majority if they'd let the heteros get married.

It is a well-documented fact retirees have less time than working people.  Every retiree I talk to says the same thing,  I think what happens is that when you are working and there is something to be done, you find the time and fit it into your working schedule and get it done.  But if you have no working schedule, why you can do it anytime, and there is no reason to rush and do it right now.  Procrastination is limitless and nothing gets done so we always have these things looming over us because we haven't done them, so we always have so much to do.

Last night I had a little party, the Eggstravaganza, where we had eggs and dye and candy and the little kids came early and egged it up, and later the grown ups showed up, and towards the end the beer showed up and we all had a good time. 

By the time we finished and cleaned up I hauled some bags of stuff back here, but I didn't unpack them because it was after ten for Chrissake and I had to get right to bed.  I still haven't unpacked this morning because i have to post in The Institute.  I may get to it later but we'll see.  It will take ten minutes to unpack, but i may not even get to that today because I can always do it tomorrow, so I will have that to do for most of today and perhaps tomorrow.  The days are just packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment