Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2016

"All The World's a Stage" - Shakespeare

If Shakespeare was alive today, he would have to say "All the world's a TV screen". I think that, to a lot of people, what they see on TV is more real than what they see in real life. For the younger people, it might be their computers, but computers have screens like TVs, so it's the same only different. Then there's texting, which seems to be replacing both oral and pictorial formats like Skype. I don't know what that's all about, but it's still electronic communication. Be that as it may, TV is still a big part of many people's lives. Maybe the reason Trump is attracting so much attention is that he has been seen on TV by lots of people, even before he declared for the presidency. I remember that people used to make jokes about Reagan because he was a movie actor before he became a politician, but all that exposure certainly didn't hurt his chances of getting elected, first to the California governorship, and then to the presidency. When people who do not take much of an interest in politics go to vote, the mere fact that they recognize a candidate's name might be all that they have to go on. Well, not usually for the presidency, but certainly for all the other offices. This year, with some two dozen candidates to choose from on the Republican side, Trump's name was the only one that many people recognized, at least in the early stages.

I was going to check out the debate tonight, but I couldn't find it on any of the channels we get. Don't they usually put it on one of the major networks? If they had it on before 8:30 PM it wouldn't show up on my guide because it doesn't display past shows, just future ones, and I didn't go looking for it until after the Big Bang Theory.

Why are you going to Nawlins now, isn't Mardi Gras long over with? My daughter and grand daughter went there for Mardi Gras last year and they really liked it, although it's not something I or my hypothetical wife would enjoy, even in our younger days. I understand that much of Loosiana is under water right now, but I think the floods missed Nawlins this time. I wouldn't even know that if I didn't watch the Weather Channel so much. I don't watch it for very long, but I will check it out several times a day for 5-15 minutes. I don't know what the attraction is for me, I have gotten so that I will turn on the TV before I will look out the window to see what the current weather conditions are. I read somewhere that's what old people do, and you know that you're really over the hill if you TIVO the Weather Channel when you're not going to be home. I haven't gotten that bad yet, but that might just be because we don't have a TIVO machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment