Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

There Are Wars?

I wasn't aware that there were anti-Trump or anti-Obamacare wars, phony or otherwise. I know that some people must like Trump because they have been voting for him, and that others must not like him because they have been voting against him. I voted against him myself but, unfortunately, I've only got one vote. I plan to vote for him in the general election if he wins the nomination because he's not Bernie or Hillary. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any organized anti-Trump movement.

I know that I am not the only one who opposes Obamacare because, until recently, the news has been full of reports of congressional action and lawsuits against it. Now that you mention it, though, I haven't heard about anything like that lately, so maybe you're right about that one. I suppose the people who are getting their health insurance for free are in favor if it, but I would be surprised if anybody who has been forced to buy health insurance is happy about it. I remember that I was in favor of health insurance as long as my employer was paying for it but, when I was faced with the prospect of paying for it myself, I declined to do so. I suppose it might be a good deal for somebody who is sick a lot, but most people are going to pay more into it than they ever get out of it in the long run. All you are doing with health insurance is pre-paying your medical costs before you need them. If you run up a big medical bill and have no insurance, you will have to pay it off in installments. The difference is that you would be paying for medical services after the fact instead of before it, and only paying for the services that you actually received instead of services that you might need someday. Okay, when they put me on Medicare, I didn't opt out of Part "B" like I could have. My hypothetical wife and I talked it over and decided that the premiums weren't that bad and, at our age, there was a good chance we were going to use it someday if we lived long enough.

I got to thinking about that gay marriage thing after I signed off last night. Truth be known, there is no rational reason why anybody should get married before the age of 18 and, after 18, there is nothing the parents can do about it, so it's kind of a moot question. I said that I would never attend a gay wedding, and I still wouldn't, even if it was my own kid getting married. My hypothetical wife's parents didn't attend our wedding because they were Catholic, we were married in a Protestant church, and people cared about stuff like that in those days. It's not that they didn't approve of the marriage, they just didn't feel comfortable setting foot in a Protestant church, and we didn't hold that against them.

The only reason I mentioned the AMA is that I heard, some years after the fact, that it was they who decreed that homosexuality was no longer a medical condition. Before that, everybody I knew called it a sickness, and I just took it for granted that it was. Maybe it was the AMA who originally decreed that it was a sickness, in which case it would be reasonable for them to be the ones to un-decree it. I understand that, before it was considered a sickness, it was considered a crime in many jurisdictions. Since governments were the ones that made it a crime in the first place, it's reasonable that governments were the ones to un-make it a crime. For as long as I can remember, the idea of homosexuality has creeped we out, so I am the one who gets to decide that it doesn't creep me out, and I haven't decided that yet. It's possible that I might decide that someday, but it's not bloody likely.

It never ceases to amaze me that I seem to have less spare time now than when I was working for a living. I think it has something to do with Einstein's Theory of Relativity. As your speed approaches the speed of light, time begins to slow down, right? It seems logical, then, that time speeds up as you slow down in your old age. Be that as it may, I certainly don't have time for whittling and gabbing anymore. The only reason I have time for the internet is that I no longer watch television after supper. This is a good thing because too much isolation can make you funny in  the head, or so I've been told.


No comments:

Post a Comment