Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2016

The Art of the Possible

 "Politics is the art of the possible." (Some famous guy said that) "All things are possible, but not all things are bloody likely."  (I said that.)

Hypothetically, I suppose I would change my political beliefs if they were proven wrong to my satisfaction. That's unlikely to happen in the real world, however, because, like I said, there is no pure political system. What happens is we change our minds, or don't, on one particular issue at a time. I'm still not in favor of gay marriage, I would vote against it again if it was on the ballot again, but it's unlikely to be on the ballot again in my lifetime, so there's no point in me worrying about it. It's a done deal, ipso facto case closed. That doesn't mean I have to attend a gay wedding if I were to be invited to one, which is also unlikely. If I had a son or daughter under the age of 18, and they asked my permission to marry someone of the same sex, I would refuse. If they were over 18, they wouldn't need my permission, so there would be nothing I could do about it. Would they still be welcome in my home for a holiday visit? I don't know, but that's also unlikely to happen, so no sense worrying about that either.

Republicans in Congress have been trying to repeal Obamacare since the day after it was passed. The only way that's going to happen is if we elect a Republican president while maintaining a Republican majority in both houses of Congress, or if we elect a veto proof 2/3 majority to Congress, in which case it wouldn't matter who was president. I think what will happen with Obamacare is they will keep tinkering with it until it evolves into something that both sides can live with but, by that time, it might have changed so much that they aren't even calling it "Obamacare" anymore. That's how politics works in the real world, the art of the possible.

I still have a hard time believing that Trump is for real, which is why I keep looking for some logical explanation of what he is really trying to do. If he gets the nomination, which now seems likely, I still plan to vote for him. Of course he's an asshole, or at least he plays one on TV, but I'd rather see an asshole in the White House than a Democrat. If I thought he had a snowball's chance in Hell of winning, I might have to think twice about it, but I don't think that's bloody likely, so no use worrying about that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment