Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

Action and Reaction

I asked my daughter yesterday if she knew any Trumpists. She told me that she had recently discovered some among her acquaintances, and she was surprised because they were the people that she would have least expected. Apparently there were some people who were really upset when Obama was elected president, and they haven't gotten over it yet. She thinks that the Trump movement grew out of the Tea Party movement, but has now taken on a life of its own. There are some others who have become disillusioned with politicians in general, and Trump is seen as sort of an anti politician. Not anti as in "against", but anti as in "alternative", like the anti popes that the Catholics had to deal with back in the day.

There are some things I do every day, but many of my activities are seasonal and weather dependent. One nice thing about the Weather Channel is that they don't pre-empt the news and weather with sports like our local network affiliates sometimes do on the weekends. Even when they are running a feature show, you can always click on the "local" icon and get the stats for your zip code.

My hypothetical wife does the grocery shopping, although I took it over for a year or so when she had health issues and couldn't do it herself. I used to buy my own groceries when I was single, so I thought I knew how, but it turns out there is way more to it than I realized. With my hypothetical wife's coaching, however, I eventually became quite a savvy shopper, if I do say so myself. Just when I was starting to get good at it, though, she got better and took the job back. I do go to town once a week or two for stuff that only I use, and I usually get the carry out meals like pizza or Chinese.

I'm running late tonight, so I won't look up your link about packing heat at the convention, maybe tomorrow. At this point I'm guessing that it's somebody's idea of a joke.

I don't know if the Catholics were worried about the fermenting youth of the 60s, I think they were just concerned with declining church attendance. Like a certain Methodist I know, kids were drifting away from the fold as soon as they were out of their parents' reach.

We have no-fault auto insurance in Michigan, and it sucks. It's like liability except that your insurance company pays for your own losses. They decided that it was cheaper than taking people to court to determine whose fault the accident was. They were supposed to pass some of the savings on to us with lower premiums but, of course, that never happened. The thing about home and auto insurance is that many people never have to make a claim in their lifetimes. With health insurance, you know you are going to need it someday, so what you're doing is pre-paying your medical expenses. I would rather keep the money in my own account drawing interest for me until I need it. I have always paid my medical bills in a timely manner, with the money I saved by not buying medical insurance. Poor people's healthcare has always been subsidized, before Medicaid they just charged their paying customers more to recover the losses they incurred treating poor people. Also, in some locations like your own, they used to have county hospitals where poor people could go for free. We never had that here, and I understand that yours closed down some time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment