Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2016

The Ghost In the Machine


The storm had passed in the night and the morning dawned cold, calm, and clear, just like they said it would. I thought that the scene out my window would make a nice picture, so I shot it through the window pane before the light changed or something. I didn't plan on making a selfie, but I kind of did by accident. I've shot lots of pictures through windows, but this is the only one to ever come out like that. The sun was off to my left, and the angle must have been just right.

We ended up with at least a foot of snow on the level, it was hard to tell for sure because of all the blowing and drifting. It was pretty warm during the storm, I don't think it ever got below 30. Friday and Saturday mornings started out at 20, and then quickly rose as the sun came up, 40s on Friday and 50s on Saturday. Bare patches of ground were starting to show by Saturday afternoon.

The only people who name winter storms are the people on The Weather Channel (214). They broadcast out of Atlanta, Georgia but they report the weather for the whole country and even go international at times. They have an interactive feature where you click on this icon and get a detailed report of current and future conditions for your own zip code. From 5:00 AM until sometime on the afternoon they just do the weather, for the rest of the time they have these feature shows that are more or less weather related. When there's a big storm going on, they pre-empt the feature shows and do the weather 24 hours a day. I never watch it for very long, but I will check it several times a day and watch it for 5-15 minutes. My hypothetical wife doesn't like it, especially late at night, so I keep the sound off most of the time. You really don't need the sound anyway because almost everything they are saying is backed up with graphics or text.

When the Catholics had their big uproar back in the 60s, I think they were catering to the young people who had been leaving the church in droves. I don't know if it helped them retain any young people, but my father in law quit going to church after they stopped speaking Latin. I don't think he was fluent in Latin himself, but he said that it just didn't seem like church when they did everything in English. He did go back to church for his funeral, but I don't think that counts because he was carried in. They had a new priest by that time, and he was a lot friendlier than the old priest. I talked with him afterwards and commented on one of the hymns they did during the service, "A Mighty Fortress is Our God", which was written  by Martin Luther. (No, not Martin Luther King, the original Martin Luther who started the Protestant Reformation.) I said that I was surprised to hear that hymn sung in a Catholic church. The priest chuckled and said "You know, I always did like that hymn, and I was pleased when they started letting us use it."

I don't know if I actually liked the health system the way it was. I think it's more like they shouldn't even have a health system at all. You should be able to just go to the doctor when you're sick. Why should that require a system? Just go there, get cured, and go on your way. That's how my dentist operates, and I've been going to him for 45 years. No follow up visits, no expensive prescription drugs giving you side effects that cause you to need even more expensive prescription drugs. Just get cured and pay the lady in the window on your way out. Why can't all doctors be like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment