Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

the day after

I remember in election time in the hood every other house had a Daley poster in its window.  I looked on those people enviously, obviously they were all connected and so the man of the house probably had some good job with the city where he didn't have to do much work and he got good pay.  They were probably mostly all Irish, maybe a few Poles.  And here we were Bohunks, and just recently moved in (we moved in when I was four, and everybody else in the hood had been there probably since it had been built, sometime in the twenties), and we weren't even Catholic for Chrissake. 

I never met anybody who was connected, well they probably all went to St Galls, but then the neighborhood kids i knew who went to St Gall, none of them seemed to be connected. 

Garbage-wise I remember that the most important thing about your alderman is if he got you new shiny garbage cans.

Nobody understands Trump's appeal.  They say well in these troubled times.. but if you examine times closely they are all troubled, and even if these times were particularly troubled and we were in some kind of some mess out of the ordinary, why would anybody think that Trump could get us out of it?

I, living in this true blue city, don't know any Trumpists, but I imagine things are pretty red up in that hat on top of the hat on top of Michigan, maybe you could interview one or two for The Beaglesonian.

Trump took your state rather easily.  Cruz was behind by double digits and barely bested Uncle Johnny.  Two days after the election the Chicago papers print out a map showing which districts went which way,  I know you are not as interested in these mundane details as I am, but I wonder if those Trump votes came more from the Detroit area or the rest of the state.  I wonder what sort of people are Detroit area republicans.  I imagine there are still some fat suburbs in the Detroit area. 

We'll be having our primary this Wednesday.  In the last poll Trump was favored but I notice that in the latest nationwide polls he has been slipping to the point where he is almost equal with Cruz.  There are some recent polls that show any of the remaining three guys could beat Trump head to head, but none of them show any signs of dropping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment