Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2020

Monday Muttering

The COVID crisis hit close to home when my brother-in-law died of the virus yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mr. Beagles.  It's a little awkward for a relative stranger to offer condolences in such a personal matter but it's all I got; my deepest sympathies to the Beagles family.

-----

It ain't over 'till it's over and it ain't over yet.   I think we have to wait until December, that's when the electoral college closes the door on this mess.  But who knows for sure?  There could be some obscure loop hole that will throw everything back to the legislature or courts.  Anyone who tries to predict Trump's behavior is playing a sucker's game, I think.  He is apt to say or do anything, and I mean anything, just to see what happens in the hope of saving his bacon.  The specter of pending prosecutions looms large and we are still in for quite a ride.

-----

I wasn't aware of the connection between O. Winston Link and the Norfolk & Western Railroad until Uncle Ken mentioned it.  There was an exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College back in 1986, "O. Winston Link: Ghost Trains, Railroads of the 1950’s" and that was where I first saw his work.  Beautiful prints, maybe 16" x 20" with plenty of detail.  My favorite photo was the image looking out of the window of this lady's living room, with a big steam locomotive a little too close for comfort, in my opinion.  But Hester Fringer was not in the least bit disturbed.

Final locomotive fun fact: prior to a 1938 record-breaking speed run in England, the engineers of the Mallard added aniseed to the bearing lubricating oil in order to produce a "nasal" warning if bearings overheated.  Clever chaps, wot?



No comments:

Post a Comment