Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2020

monday morning housekeeping and commercials

There is white space and there is big white space.  I know Old Dog likes a little white space to follow his posts to sort of frame them I guess.  My watercolor buddies are wont of going on, after they have framed their latest work, about how much better it looks in a frame with a mat around it.  Myself I think it's still the same old painting, but I know I am in the minority on that.  

But the white space which I shortened was the size of the white space following Beagles's post Swamp Things of November 19.  It just seemed like wasted space.  That's all.  I won't mention it again.  


And I just now noticed that we have a comment from Free Tim Boxer Dog(?) on the 24th following Old Dog's Welcome Free Tim post.  The song of my youth, Dirty Water, calls attention to the banks of the River Charles which is surely what runs through Boston to the sea.  I expect most coastal cities (Chicago sometimes likes to refer to itself as the third coast) are situated on the mouths of rivers and hence are on swamps.  


Well commercials, the price we pay for watching  free tv, are universally hated by viewers because they are a bunch of freeloaders. If the company paid honest money to bring you that show, would not the honest viewer repay his debt by paying heed to the sponsor and perhaps in gratitude, buyimg the product?

Muting the commercials is only a half-hearted method of freeloading, you still have to watch it so as to know when it's over. and watch it closely so you won't miss a second once your show resumes.  

And tv is awfully crappy, well you get what you pay for.  Did I say pay for?  Well why not Netflix?  Ten bucks a month, 30 cents a day.  Not only do you get a smarter version of television, but all the commercials are gone.  It's not all that great, many of the sitcoms are just slightly better than regular tv, and those series that people rave about, and almost brag about spending the weekend totally binging on, I don't see it.  The first few episodes are often good but after that they are just stretching things out indefinitely, the same shit over and over.  The selection of movies is small, but there are usually about ten good ones at any given time.

I have succumbed. It makes those last two or three hours of the evening pass by smoothly, and I have come to forget what commercials are like.  

But last night I came across a regular tv channel that was showing a marathon of 30 Rock which was one of my faves back in the day, but unavailable on Netflix.  Suddenly commercials were back,  but you know I scarcely noticed them.  Sitting here this morning I cannot tell you what any of them were about.  I don't remember seeing Flo at all.  I did notice though that they were much louder than the shows.  It seems to me that there ought to be a law, and I think there was one, maybe two, and yet they are still as loud as ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment