Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Looking Stuff Up

Here's the article I read the other day about Colorado joining the Popular Vote Compact:


"There was one possible maneuver that has worried me.  A state government can decide, for whatever reasons, they don't think that their primary was run fairly and choose their own slate of delegates, but I just heard that this won't work because it is the house that decides whether to seat the primary or state-determined slate." - Uncle Ken - 11/10/20

 "I have not confused the primary with general election.  Declaring an election invalid and replacing the slate with one chosen by the governor is a real thing.  I have heard it discussed several times, and at least one Trumpist office holder, whose name slips my memory at the moment, has proposed it,  I suggest Beagles to go to the google machine for five minutes." - Uncle Ken - 11/11/20 

Here's what I found about that:


I believe the headline is misleading.  As the article says, the state legislature can choose their state's electors any way they want, but it doesn't say they can change them after the election.  The reason all the states presently choose their electors by a vote of the people is that their state legislators have passed a law to that effect sometime in the past.  If any of them chose to rescind that law and replace it with a different one, it would only affect future elections, not past ones.  "I'm not so wise as the lawyer guys but, strictly between us two", I don't think they can change something like that retroactively.


I used to get email alerts whenever a comment was posted on our forum, I would then mark anything that looked suspicious as "spam".  For some reason, those alerts stopped a long time ago, leading me to believe that we hadn't gotten any comments lately.  At Uncle Ken's suggestion, I checked the comments section tonight and saw that was not the case.  While I still believe most of them are spam, I have no objection if either of my esteemed colleagues wants to sort through them looking for a keeper.  



No comments:

Post a Comment