Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

not fake news, just slothful research

Damn, nailed by Da Scourge again.  I was pretty sure of myself.  I remembered the Walmart wars of 2006 when they made their moves.  Forces in the ghetto wanted them because it was hard shopping in broken down neighborhoods, and because there would be jobs, crappy jobs, but even those looked pretty good in the ghetto.  The city didn't want them because of their habit of driving out other businesses and because they were crappy jobs.  In my memory the city had won, but what had actually happened was that the city allowed them to build some stores if they promised to pay higher wages.  There are now some Walmart neighborhood markets, I seem to remember one as close as Franklin and Division and another around Monroe and Canal, but they are both gone now.  I'm arbitrarily not counting them because they are little bitty things, but there is a Walmart Supercenter by North and Cicero, and a sister by 31st and Cicero.  I almost never go west of Western and they are lost to me and I guess that's why I thought there were none.  My error.  I was wrong and Old Dog was right.

But I'm going to take issue with the phrase fake news.  This term apparently has been around from at


least the turn of the century according to wiki.  It has been newly resurrected by Trump to mean any news he does not like, but the implication is that it is deliberate lies told to mold opinion, and while I will plead guilty to sloth in not checking up (I was pretty sure of myself, but as I myself have said, that is never enough.), I think the term fake news is not applicable.


I am going to venture that at any given time there are hundreds of YouTube videos predicting some kind of doom, but it does not follow that when some kind of doom hits us that the authors of those youtubes or tweets or whatever are prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment