Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2020

Are we having fun yet?

Fourth Monday already?  That sounds about right, since by my calculations I've been housebound for at least three complete weeks except for the infrequent grocery run.  My sister, the practical member of the family, insists that we stay in daily contact; not a bad idea during these apocalyptic times.  A wellness check, if you will, usually by email and it's nice to report that there's nothing to report.

Big Kudos to Uncle Ken!  This health crisis has released his inner warrior, volunteering to assist others and even bleeding for the cause. I suggest the tenants of Marina City string colored lights on their balconies as a demonstration of solidarity against Covid-19.

-----

Face masks are rare in my neighborhood and I'm prepared if they become mandatory. I have a couple of 3M N95 masks from way-back-when but they are so old that the elastic disintegrated.  That can be fixed and I've seen plenty of do-it-yourself versions that I can make.  Anything is better than nothing, they say, and I've seen masks that look superior to anything you could buy at the store, if you could even buy then at all.  You start with a household HEPA air filter...

-----

I thought that the toilet paper shortage was a bunch of hogwash, and I was wrong.  It's an interesting story, one I hadn't considered.  It comes down to the fact that there are two kinds of toilet paper, manufactured in two different kinds of facilities.  One is the consumer/household stuff we are all familiar with and the other is the institutional stuff that we are also familiar with, found in schools, workplaces. and public facilities of all types.  You can't help but notice the difference in product quality, maybe size, and the type of roll it comes on.  But since this  virus thing a lot of businesses are closed and more people than ever are shitting at home and not at work.  Bottom line, there is plenty of industrial asswipe to go around, and the paper factories that make the stuff can't switch over to make the soft, gentle, pure white, multi-ply product because of different raw materials and manufacturing processes.  Mr. Beagles can elaborate further, if necessary, with his professional insights.

-----

I am delighted in the amount of curious information that is at my fingertips as I wander through various rabbit holes.  Did you know that Elton John and Bernie Taupin were sued for copyright infringement because of a certain riff in Crocodile Rock?  The case was settled out of court; the alleged stolen riff was from Speedy Gonzales, as sung by Pat Boone, of all people.  I remember that song and if you told me that I would be talking about it in more than fifty years I would've said you were crazy, and yet here we are, in crazy town.



No comments:

Post a Comment