Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2020

A sunny Monday

Back in the days when I worked in the office we used to run sort of a pool as to when the first 70 degree day would appear.

As I recall, there was a rural equivalent north of here in either Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  The locals would take an old automobile, a non-functional beater most likely, and park it in the middle of a frozen lake.  Wagers would be made about the date and time the car would fall through the ice but I don't know what kind of prize the winner got.  This sounds like the kind of mirthful activity that happened in many locales up north, and I'm sure alcohol may be involved.

Mr. Beagles mentioned that some of the homes in the Cheboygan area are second homes, owned by "outsiders" for vacation purposes.  I read that there has been backlash against this type of owner in the state of Maine, with the locals up in arms (almost) against the interlopers seeking refuge against the pandemic.  Anything like that happening up there, Mr. Beagles, or all welcome to join in as long as the Walmart stays open and fully stocked?

I don't know how long Illinois has been in self-isolation compared to Michigan but I find it odd that Michigan has significantly more cases and deaths (per one thousand residents) than Illinois, about fifty percent more the last time I checked.  That's quite a difference and I wonder why; maybe my sources are in error.

-----

Once again the Finns are way ahead of the curve.  For many years they've been practicing the activity of staying at home and drinking, without wearing any pants.  They have a word for it, too, but I don't recall it offhand; it's in the link.

-----

It's bad enough that we have to be obsessive hand-washers, now I've read that the virus can stick to the bottom of your shoes.  This is new info, much to the dismay of health workers, first responders, and just about everybody I guess.  What a world we live in.

-----

A belated Happy Easter to all as we await our personal resurrections from this grave situation.  What should we be calling this time of our lives?  Pre- and Post-Pandemic?  Or maybe just a smaller part of the chaotic Trump Era?


No comments:

Post a Comment