Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2018

The Selfish Voter

"I wouldn't say that I am alienated from everybody else, more like detached." - TWB - yesterday

There is no "vs" between me and everybody else, just some space.  I don't hate those people, I just don't feel particularly attached to them.  I still believe in good guys and bad guys, and I feel more detached from the bad guys than I do from the good guys, but I no longer join good guy clubs because good guys can turn bad, and then I would have to quit the club if they did, so it's easier to just not join the club in the first place because then I won't have to go to the meetings.

Voting is not the same thing as joining a club.  I have been a card carrying member of three different political parties, now that was joining the club.  I eventually let my membership lapse in each of them, but that doesn't mean I can't vote for them if I want to.  I don't vote for what's good for society, I vote for what's good for me.  Okay, I voted against abortion and same sex marriage, but that was just because I don't like the idea of either one.  If I don't like something, I vote against it. If society derives some benefit from the way I vote, that's cool, but that's not why I voted the way I did.  A society is the sum total of all it's members. If each member voted for their own benefit, the result would be the benefit of the majority.  The problem with voting for the benefit of the whole society is that they don't all want the same things, so what you're really voting for is what you believe is good for society, whether they like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment