Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

a nation in mourning

That's a cool looking hat Beagles, kind of pioneer, kind of Amish.  I think I've seen you wearing that in fb posts, so it's more like your everyday hat than just something you pulled off a hook because you were going out to till the rye,  Nice big brim.  A hat is nothing unless it has a brim, unless it is a thick stocking cap in winter,

It looks like this McCain-athon will go on until Labor Day.  Not that he wasn't a pretty good man, but it's just the same thing being said over and over  It's not news. 

I had always thought he was flying a bomber, but research reveals that he was flying a fighter jet when he was shot down.  I wonder why he was flying a fighter when North Vietnam had no air force.  Well I guess it was to take out those anti aircraft guns that got him.  The North Vietnamese treated him pretty badly, but I wonder how we would have treated captured enemy airmen who were shot down bombing New York City.

But shit happens in war, and I guess he helped make better relations with Vietnam.  The war killed way more of them than it did us, and we were the ones who came over to their house and wrecked it. but after it was over it was us who were all standoffish about accepting a handshake.

He was against torture.  That was good.  I can't believe how easily the nation slipped back into doing it, it used to be something we were so proud of.  He had a certain candor, and even a sense of humor.  But along with that squealing Lindsay Graham he was a terrible hawk, never saw a battlefield he didn't want to jump into. 

But it was something he believed in, not something he was just saying to get votes.  You have to give credit to a guy who acts on his beliefs, but not all that much if you don't like his beliefs.  Well I guess you can give him credit, but you certainly don't have to vote for him. I thought he was the best of a motley crew of republicans running in the 2008 primary, but once he won it I didn't much like him at all.  You know they kept  showing that clip where the woman said that Obama was an Arab and McCain said no he was a decent family man.  If I was an Arab, I think I would have been pissed.

It seemed to me that CNN was running more remembrances of McCain than Fox.  Well Fox is well aware that Trump is watching them, so they are a little careful what they say.  There was that little dustup about the White House not keeping its flags at half staff, and Trump not wanting to say anything nice about McCain.  Way back when Trump first said he didn't think much of McCain because he got captured (why didn't he employ the patriotic bone spur maneuver?) I thought that would be the end of his campaign. 

But Trump's support remained the same after the Manafort conviction and Cohen turning against him, so I don't  know,  I think the Trumpists have hardened into people like that juror who doesn't believe that truth is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment