Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sheeny but no shine

A while ago I was blabbing about the Chinese and how they are using AI and other means to determine social reputation.  This seems to me to be a sneaky way for an authoritarian government to manipulate peer group pressure to maintain social order; I don't know how well it's working out for them but the idea has gained some popularity.  The good folks at Facebook are going to try the same thing.  Since both of you fellows are on Facebook (and I'm not) I am curious about your feelings on this.  Do either of you give a rat's ass about your Facebook reputation?

-----

"Sheeny" is a term I haven't seen in decades, probably since childhood.  In my neck of the woods it was another derogatory term for a Jew.  Online resources are vague about the origin of the term and I don't think it was commonly used.  But I remember the term mostly for it's use in "sheeny rub," where some adult (usually) will grab a kid (usually) and rub the top of their head vigorously with their knuckles; an annoying and a little painful experience.  I think it was supposed to be funny, done for the amusement of others in the group but as a recipient it never was.  In those days kids never smacked an adult even if they deserved it; the sheeny rub was usually unprovoked.  On TV and in other media the sheeny rub is called a "noogie" and I don't know how it got that name.

I'm wondering if sheeny was a term used more often on the North Side and if there is a North/South difference in derogatory terms.  Did South-Siders ever refer to a black person as a "shine?"  It's used very rarely today, mostly by white cops of a certain age.  Or so I've heard.

-----

It seems like the only thing that keeps Trump out of the news is the death of a notable person.  Last week it was Aretha Franklin and this weekend it's the passing of John McCain, possibly the last honorable Republican.  Plenty of folks have disagreed with him but he was always treated with the respect that he deserved, respect that was earned at great cost.  Almost always, I should say, the exception being the bloviating Cheeto himself, he of the dreaded bone spurs.  I don't think Trump is capable of any feelings of humiliation but knowing that McCain didn't want him at his funeral has got to be like a stab in the back; McCain's request for a eulogy by Obama is a delightful twist of that blade.  I think Trump's self-destruction timer will soon start ticking.  The guy can't even be trusted with crayons to color in the American flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment