Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2018

Spaced out

If the creation of a "space force" isn't the screwiest notion to come out of the White House I don't know what is.  NASA and the Air Force have been working for many years in space exploration and the creation of a new military branch will accomplish little except provide spiffy new uniforms and insignia.  Supposedly, a Space Force will provide greater national security but the threats are are not specified.  Are aliens coming in through the asteroid belt?  Is some unknown political entity building a Death Star to torch our amber waves of grain?  I like science fiction as much as the next guy but I also know it is fiction, an entertaining and sometimes inspiring thought experiment but nothing more.  Sooner or later someone is going to hand Trump a piece of paper showing how much a Space Force will cost; that should shut him up unless he's thinking that the Martians will pay for it.

-----

What if way back then we had sat down with the other tribe and worked out an agreement?  Wouldn't that have worked out just as well, dare I say better?

Agreements were made and things have worked out better, Uncle Ken.  I'll grant you that things are very screwy today but it's nothing like the way things were not that long ago, historically speaking.  Look at the 20th Century; in little more than thirty years time there were two, count them, two world wars.  I'll take today's trade wars any day over the bloodbaths of times gone by.

-----

I'm not seeing the point of the ongoing "us and them" discussion; it seems too simplistic to me, reducing groups to a single dimension.  There are as many different kinds of us as there are of them; it depends on who you want to argue with.  As a geezer I could consider young people "them," as a man I could consider women "them," and as a city guy I could consider rural folk "them."  I could but I won't because I don't see the point.  I'm one of those people that thinks what we have in common is greater than our differences and even if we can't sort out those differences we should be able to learn to live with them.  Mr. Beagles stated "...it's just that I no longer have the time or energy to devote to other people's agendas," a sentiment I'm beginning to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment