Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

You Can Lead a Horticulture

I'm with Old Dog on this one, I don't think that culture is inborn. We are, however, born into a culture, and with the ability to learn from that culture. As we grow older, we are also influenced by other cultures, which may or may not inspire us to modify or abandon the culture into which we were born. Cultures represent the accumulated knowledge of their members that is passed down to each generation, which may add or subtract items over time. Historically, some cultures were more isolated than others, either by geography or by choice. Not so much anymore, the only one that immediately comes to mind is the Amish.

Of course I am the ultimate judge of good and evil. The fact that nobody pays any attention to me is irrelevant. I know what's good because I am a good person. I think it all started when I was sick with rheumatic fever as a toddler, which was about the time people started telling me that I was a good boy. Maybe they were trying to make me feel better, or maybe I just didn't have enough energy to be bad. For whatever reason, I have been known as a good boy for as long as I can remember. Once you get something like that on your record, it will follow you all of your life and you will never live it down. That's probably why I failed in my brief attempt to be bad in my eleventh year. The bad kids must have gotten hold of my record and refused to accept me into their ranks because of it.

Speaking of horticulture, I haven't planted a garden for several years now. Time was I would finish putting up the next winter's supply of firewood by the end of May, plant my garden, and then I would go fishing. I would take a couple weeks off from fishing in August to do my annual mowing of the areas that I didn't want reverting to forest, and to replant the rye field in front of my deer blind. Some time in October, depending on weather, I would put the boat and fishing tackle away and start small game hunting, which would keep me occupied until the firearm deer season started on November 15. After deer season, it was time to start working on firewood again. Now I'm lucky if I get my firewood up in time to start my August mowing, which takes me well into October to finish, just in  time for pre-deer season target practice. Gardening, fishing, and small game hunting have all gone by the board, and I fear that deer hunting will be the next to go. I intend to keep up my forestry efforts until the very end. When I can't do that anymore, I might as well sell Beaglesonia and move into a retirement home.


No comments:

Post a Comment