Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2017

Far out, man

Moral relativism was invented by the hippies back in the 60s so they could do wrong things and not feel guilty about it.

I don't get it.  Although not popularized until the 20th century, moral relativism goes way back to Plato and earlier. I don't know how it relates to hippies; they did plenty of illegal things, mostly relating to drugs, but that doesn't make them wrong things.  What's the beef with hippies, Mr. Beagles?   Was that small subset of your fellow baby boomers a threat to you or were they too weird?  I can't see them as being much more than a temporary cultural anomaly, an often self-centered expression of youthful inquiry much like many others throughout history and a product of the times.  In retrospect, and after a quick scan of the Wikipedia page, I'll have to conclude that the whole hippie stuff made a positive impact on the world as we know it today.  Other opinions may differ, and different doesn't mean wrong.  Maybe it's relative.

-----

The point of the link to the Amazon reviews was not for you to read the book, Uncle Ken.  I'm not going to read the book either, but there were enough bullet points mentioned and review comments that it shouldn't be necessary.  Things are better, I think, unless you can provide hard data that proves otherwise.  I concede that there are isolated areas where things are much worse, but overall the situation is much improved.

-----

I was going to comment on fact that many recent discussions are revolving about moral dilemmas, again, but fuck it, the discussions never seem to arrive at any consensual conclusion.  Is it just me, am I no longer being reasonable?

No comments:

Post a Comment