Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2017

Who Says?

Okay, so good and evil are human inventions, and a sin is an act that is wrong regardless of its consequences. What about intent? Is a sin also an act that is wrong regardless of the intent of the sinner? If I take a shot at a bad guy, he ducks, and I kill a good guy by mistake, is that a sin? If we take consequences and intent out of the equation, the only thing left is the act itself which, I believe, is what Uncle Ken is driving at.

So who gets to decide what acts are sins and what acts are not? It can't be the government because government laws generally take both consequences and intent into account. It can't be God because Uncle Ken does not believe in God. It can't be religion because Talks With Beagles doesn't believe in religion. It can't be Society, because there is no Society with a capital "S". There are lots of societies with a small "s", but nobody is a member of all of them. Can members of one society dictate right and wrong to members of a different society? Well, they can try to, and maybe that's why we have wars. If the victors write the history books, do they also get to write the rule books? That sounds like "might makes right". Surely we can come up with a better plan than that!

It has been my experience with this Blogger platform that, if my computer unexpectedly goes down on me while I am writing a post, everything I have written so far automatically gets saved as a draft. I think that's what happened the other day when one of my posts came out as a draft because I forgot to publish it. When I went back and clicked on "update", it came back as a regular published post.

No comments:

Post a Comment