Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Fast, and half fast

Laundromats are a great equalizer; you can't act like a big shot while you're folding your old and faded clothes. Unattended loads don't seem be an issue at my local place because there is an attendant that keeps things moving smoothly.  Machine ate your quarters?  No problem, they take care of it.

Doing laundry has always been a bit of a pain in the ass but it's a good time to catch up on your reading and think great thoughts.  Although I've seen some folks load up their machines and leave, I'm not that trusting.  There was a rumor about Gypsies stealing clothes, but that was a long time ago, at a dinky laundromat that I used to go to.  I like the place I go to now, plenty of flat screen TVs (not very loud, and they'll change channels on request), a soda machine, and a clean restroom.  Lots of washers too (of varying capacities), plenty of dryers, and it's only about a five minute walk for me.

-----

The notion of a "war gene" strikes me as fanciful simply because it isn't necessary.  Between the natural human characteristics of aggression and self preservation it is easy to arrive at a war mentality.  Von Clausewitz said it well: "War is the continuation of politics by other means."

I was going to expound on my thoughts of war but then I started looking at the Wikipedia entries for War and the War on Terror and decided I need to give it more thought; maybe some other time.  But you guys can go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment