Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Agreeably vague

Did the concept of "agreeing to disagree" fall by the wayside, or has it morphed into "disagreeing to agree?"  Recent discussions have a familiar ring to me; I think I've seen this movie before and I'll continue to enjoy my time on the sidelines, munching my popcorn.

-----

The word beliefs was mentioned recently, as if it is important to know what others believe, and I don't think it matters as much as what they do.  According to Wikipedia, Belief is the state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case, with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty.

There you go, factual certainty not required.  And often, faith goes hand in hand with belief, so we continue to dance around the delusional mulberry bush that is the human mind,  We want things to get better, we hope and trust they will get better, so we apply our beliefs to do so and sometimes it works out well, other times not so well, and t'was ever thus.

-----

The point I think I'm trying to make is that some things can't be nailed down in specific terms or described in black and white.  Some things will always be vague and fuzzy, and there will be subtleties beyond our comprehension.  I can live with that; there is no compelling need for me to understand everything or resolve all contradictions.  My curiosity will be undiminished but that, too, is part of the journey and not the destination.  Feel free to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment