Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

lord of the flies

I did indeed mean the word culture rather the world culture.  I guess I meant yeasty stuff that rises up from below.  Society seems sort of academic, a bunch of pinheads in some ivory tower debating mores over tea and some kind of crumpet I suppose.  Like language where panels of experts make judgments on whether to allow some new word or whether or not to end sentences with prepositions and nobody listens to them while the man in the street makes up words and phrases and idioms that pass into the language and will be debated by future ivory tower pinheads.

I'm thinking West Side Story and Officer Krupke. Society's played him a terrible trick, 
And sociologic'ly he's sick!  That's kind of the way society was looked at in the 50s and 60s.  It was kind of a top down thing, it decreed how people should behave.  But I think of culture as more of a bottom up kind of thing, the kind of thing we are born with, and if we were abandoned on some desert island the kind of behavior we would revert to, Heart of Darkness, Lord of the Flies.  

Like gangs, they seem so stupid, people killing each other without much reason.  Oh some of the killing is for drug selling territory, which makes perfect sense because they are getting something out of it.  But then there are the killings where a bunch of guys from one gang pile in a car and drive into another gang's territory to shoot members of the rival gang.  See this is just the behavior from our hunter gatherer roots.  This is the sort of behavior we observe in all primitive tribes.  It's in our DNA, in our roots.

And that's what I was working towards with all this sin stuff.  It obviously exists, we are talking about it, and we all sort of know what we are talking about it.  If I have a position on it I guess I agree with Mark Twain, I am against it.  Not so much the commission of it, but the idea of it.  It doesn't make sense to me that some action should of itself be wrong regardless of the consequences because I am a utilitarian. And I think the concept of sin predates the Abrahamic religion, so religion doesn't necessarily have a place in the discussion.

I don't know where forgiveness comes into it.  If you commit a bad deed against me, I guess I can forgive you or not.  But as far as your knowledge that you have done wrong, who can forgive you for that?  And what does it mean to forgive?  How about when people say that they forgive but they don't forget?  Isn't that the same as saying they forgive but not really?  I'm all tuckered out from sin let the dawgs discuss forgiveness.


This morning the finger is pointing at the North Koreans for that cyber attack.  It has all their characteristics of incompetence.  How can you think straight when you head is squashed under one of those big hats?  It did get me to back up my data, so I guess that's a good thing.  I am still holding out from Windows Ten by rejecting updates, probably not a good thing.

But that's all old news now.  I was coming back from the bathroom and there it was in that CNN underscore Trump blabs classified material to the Russkies.  Seems like something like that happens every time I step out of the room, maybe it's all my fault/  I imagine the tweets will be coming in any minute now.

No comments:

Post a Comment