Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Why not tear off all our clothes and run around like demented apes? No really.

Evan McMullin, a conservative I think in the Cruz mold, a nobody.  If you want to toss your vote away you can vote for Ben and Jerry.  If you want to take it out at night into the deep of the woods and bury it ten feet under you can vote for Evan (Trump hasn't even bothered to mention him, let alone give him a swinging nickname) McMullin.  All these 'principled' Republicans who can't stomach Trump, and yet the only guy who will run against him is some guy nobody ever heard of.


I didn't realize that grade school was such fertile ground for character development, blue jeans and beaches, and thus turned the youth of America in those stifling days of the fifties.  I am shocked at Miss Rockwell though.  Even as a lowly sub I would never call a second grader's artwork bad.  "OOh." I would tell every little tyke, "That is sooo great." and being second graders they believed every word I said.

Well it was the fifties, stifling, like I said, the right way to do something was the way everybody else did it, and why would you do it any other way except you were looking for trouble and very likely the violent overthrow of the USA.  The best colorists were the ones who first went hard over the outline of the shape and then colored it in gently and evenly.  Myself I just rubbed the crayon in the space so that i covered most of the white space and then went on to the next,area because it was faster and I didn't have all fucking day.  Well I guess I did have all fucking day, but I didn't want to waste it toiling over some coloring book.  I wanted to pretend that my pencil was some spaceship taking off slowly from the desk, like Captain Video's, and gaining speed and veering just a bit to the right where it came in sight of the spaceship from the evil planet Tobor in my other hand, and the two crashed together and then Ms Becker (Ms Becker was Tonti's Miss Rockwell) was yelling at me.

But for all that, I may have been easily distracted, and I may have done a halfass job on the coloring book, but I never put more than one color in the same area.  I mean what did you think those lines were for?  If you didn't obey the one area, one color, rule, why have different areas at all?   Why have lines?  Why have any rules at all?  Why not tear off all our clothes and run around like demented apes?  I mean, really.

Of course Beagles and i were Methodists and public school kids so we have precious little knowledge of what all went on in that Nordic Luther North where Old Dog put on his helmet with the two horns and trudged off to school.  But I have to tell you Gage Park High was no great shakes when you got down to Champaign and were competing with those smooth suburban kids from their fancy ass high schools.  My dreams of being a biochemist like my hero, Isaac Asimov, died a quick death.  So had Luther North also not prepared Old Dog for, what was it IIT?



I have all my report cards from grade school, and I was going to look over all the things you could get checkmarks for (we called them checkmarks, not just checks, something to do with the mark of Cain I suppose), but I haven't got around to it, maybe over this long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment