Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2016

Foods for thought

"The best lack all conviction...?"  That doesn't sound right.  Am I to infer that the Founding Fathers lacked conviction?  Something may have been lost in the context, I suppose.

-----

The Frito Pie sounds interesting, but what about a recipe for the humble among us that don't have hoity-toity microwave devices?  And the lack of onions is disturbing...

About 25 years ago Esquire magazine had a chili recipe that I copied, meaning to make it some day.  Given enough time, I'm sure I could find it.  Anyhow, it was for "West Texas Red," three kinds of meat, about six types of chilis, and no beans.  You cook it the day before you want to eat it so the flavors meld and you can skim off the extra fat before you heat it back up.  The recipe also calls for tequila, so the cook can gain "the proper chili perspective."

Kind of relating to the Frito Pie concept, I used to top off a bowl of chili with frito chips, chopped onions, and sometimes some sharp cheddar.  Fritos also work well in lieu of croutons, depending on the soup you have.  A bit salty, perhaps, but they add a nice corn flavor and crunchy mouth feel.

I eagerly await Uncle Ken's ramen soup recipe, winter be damned.

-----

Food is always a great topic; everybody eats.  I recently listened to a podcast (Gastropod) that discussed food packaging and it's effects on society.  Apparently, the big breakthrough was clay pots.  Interesting, if you like that kind of stuff; pasties got a small mention.

Although I lack empirical proof, there are some victuals that I consider "guy food."  Among these are sardines, pickled herring, buttermilk, Ry-Krisp, rye bread, sharp cheddar cheese, biscuits & gravy, kippers...the list goes on.  I've not known many ladies that enjoy these foodstuffs; if they eat them at all it is without gusto and they are simply being polite.  The list skews Scandinavian, so maybe that's it and not that they are guy foods.  What say you, gentlemen?

-----

I don't think we have to fear for the fate of The Republic.  My gut feeling is that the CarrotTop will implode within the next hundred days.  Even the Big Girl seems surprised in not knowing "where the bottom is."  Never in my memory have I seen the sanity of a candidate openly questioned; there are too many clues to think otherwise.

Sad!



No comments:

Post a Comment