Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

straight voting

Was there a flap about the amber asshole eating fried chicken with a knife and fork?  I missed it entirely, and I almost never miss a flap.  I scan my political websites several times a day and listen to NPR all morning and afternoon, but I don't recall anything about eating fried chicken with a knife and fork (isn't it fork and knife?  Hmm, the google machine seems to favor fork and knife 40 mil to 30, but that's pretty close, but my search did turn up CarrotTop, I like the way the wags chose the opportunity to draw attention to his tiny hands).  I guess my favorite silly Trump flap would be when rather than kiss the baby he had it thrown out of the room.  When he first started running there was a thing about how he never shakes hands (unsanitary) but I don't recall hearing much about that lately.


I think that thing Beagles was talking about where they let you vote without a state id is called a provisional vote, and those votes are not counted unless it turns out that there are enough of them to change the election.  I don't know how they check them for validity at that point.  If you are getting a ballot then you are registered to vote, unless you are not the person you are saying you are in which case you are a lying sack of shit and then I guess you would sign anything.

We have two issues here, straight ticket and voter id.  We have high-minded voters like ourselves who study all the issues and make an informed decision and our vote counts exactly as much as the guy who believes the last 30 second attack ad he saw and is only in the voting booth because it is a dry place to get into out of the rain.  This latter person is much more likely to be uneducated and poor and since a higher proportion of non-whites are in that situation than whites, they are more inclined to be black or hispanic.

In theory I guess I would be in favor of setting certain bars to voting, like you had to know something about the issues, but that sets up some kind of test so in practice I would be against it.  It's best just to let everybody vote isn't it?  We used to exclude non property owners  and nonwhites and women, but now we are ashamed of that 

The major point is that there has been no evidence of fraud at the voter level in years, and the only reason these laws exist is because they are passed by reps because they would exclude a larger percentage of dems then reps.  If it was the other way around you might see dems passing them, except of course, that would be wrong so the dems would never do that.

I suspect it's similar to the straight vote thing.  Even smart guys like me, when I get a bit down ticket and suddenly there are all these names that I never heard of running for positions I didn't know existed, and sometimes you are casting two votes among three candidates and then you get to the goddamn judges, and then you are worried that you will cross out the wrong circle and your whole ballot will be invalidated, and all you wanted to do was vote for the big girl or get in out of the rain.  Well it's just a big pain in the ass.  And who isn't against pains in the ass.  Bring back the straight ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment