Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2016

The Box

It is an Art Carney movie, maybe Going in Style, Art Carney was an old guy then and towards the end, contemplating eternity I assume, he pulled out The Box.  I have a box, it has like my induction notice, some old letters, I'm not sure what all.  Basically memorabilia, nothing useful like a birth certificate, just stuff, some of it momentous like the induction notice, and some of it like old letters I don't remember what they are about that just found their way into The Box and once in they never leave.

My report cards are in there (and my grade book. Remember grade books?  You got them when you started high school and they just kept marking pages until you went to college or to the army or whatever) and over this weekend I'll pull it out and look at my report cards which I am pretty sure are in The Box.  I don't look at it very often because I start looking through oddments and there goes the afternoon, and also there is that contemplating eternity thing which I am not too keen on.


I'm pretty sure that women have separate barracks and as for gays, Beagles and Old Dog had them living in the barracks with them when they were serving our country, they just weren't sure than who they were.  Nowadays when you drop the soap you know who is behind you when you are picking it up.


My opinion is that you should always vote for the lesser of two evils that has a chance of winning, that is how you pull your oar to guide the ship of state.  If you vote for somebody without a chance your oar is not in the water.

However in the case of Beagles, I think he feels that the two evils are so close that he can't determine which is worse so he might as well vote for Ben and Jerry because he has soft feelings for the 'Tarians!  If you are closely tracking the lads of ice cream, they sound a little wacky, and not wacky in that 'Tarian! way, more in that Trump way, but it doesn't matter they won't even get into the debates. 

Much has been said this election about how a vote for the 'Tarians! is a vote for the big girl and a vote for the greenies is a vote for Carrot Top.  But not really, it's more like they are half votes for the other guy.  Of course I (and his gay dog (an old joke Old Dog, I rib my colleague, as we bloggers do, about how when we dems take over we will make Beagles wed his gay dog))  would rather see Beagles pull the lever for the big girl, but that will never happen, so at least he is not voting for the amber asshole.


I guess I don't know Luther North from North Park, Didn't know much about the whole goofy north side where they give their streets names instead of numbers and have all those diagonal streets, probably giving rise to those alternative life styles that bloom across the north side, not that there is anything wrong with it.


I guess there were some Swedes walking the halls of Gage Park High, but I don't recall a big Nordic clique.  I did go to boy scouts at the Nazareth Lutheran Church by 59th and Spaulding, but I don't recall that they tried to get us into any long boats.  Hum.  Google tells me they were a Lithuanian Lutheran church.  Lithuanians did live pretty far north, but I don't think anybody thinks of them as nordic types.

No comments:

Post a Comment