Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Noticed something

A lack of comment doesn't imply a lack of notice, Uncle Ken.  The report card is an interesting bit of the historical record, but it raised some questions.  It is only one report card of many but what is the context?  Was it from the first grade, fourth grade, or what?  Were the same boxes ticked off every year, or were there changes?

What was the feedback from the parental units?  Did they agree with the assessments or did they respond with outrage, "There must be some mistake!  Our young Kenneth would never behave that way!"?

Then I recalled that at one time Uncle Ken was a substitute teacher, but may have lacked the authority to wield the mighty pen and inflict his own checkmarks on some unsuspecting troublemaker.  Were there regrets?

But none of this is any of my business, and I'm not ready to jump down the rabbit hole of the analysis of old report cards.  I enjoy reading whatever Uncle Ken writes, and I'll let it go at that.

-----

Too bad about your apple trees, Mr. Beagles, as they have a certain mystery.  A while back I was reading about apples and their propagation.  You can't plant a seed from a favorite apple, a Fuji perhaps, and expect to get a tree that yields Fujis.  I don't understand the botany, but to get Fuji apples you have to graft an existing Fuji cutting to another apple tree; it may not matter what kind.  I think you can get different types of apples from the same tree, which is very cool, but will cause all kinds of complex cross pollination issues.  Apple growers practice their own kind of art.

New varieties show up in the supermarkets all the time and I have no idea what they taste like until I buy and eat them.  I'm glad they all have little labels on them now; it can be hard to tell the difference otherwise.  A lot of them just look like the regular old apples of childhood memory, but don't be fooled.

A favorite snack of mine is to spread a little crunchy peanut butter on a slice of apple.  A tasty treat, and one of those nearly forgotten things I learned from my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment