Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Too Much Coffee......By Half

Actually, I don't even know if you drink coffee but, if you do, it sounds like you drank way too much of it this morning. Be that as it may, I might not have made this as clear as I could have, so I'll try again.

I had not heard of that abortion law they passed back in 2012 until you told me about it, or at least I don't remember hearing of it. From reading the link you provided, I got the impression that it was just another regulatory thing. Of course the article only summarized the law and, if I had taken the trouble to look it up and read the whole law, I might have gotten a different impression. If, as you said, the real purpose of the law was to shut down abortion clinics, I said "Good for them!" Then you seemed to imply that I deliberately wrote the law to be misleading about it's real purpose. Then I said that I didn't pass the law, they did. Even though I was not directly responsible for the passage of the law, I did indeed vote for the people who were. I have said before that our RINO governor isn't perfect, but at least he's not a Democrat, or words to that effect. If I had known that he had signed a law like that, I would have thought more highly of him, and maybe not held my nose so tightly as I voted to re-elect him to a second term. If this law had been advanced as a ballot proposal, I probably would have voted for it. I say "probably" because ballot proposals are not always what they seem to be, and I would have studied the matter more closely if I had the responsibility of voting on it.

  I got to thinking today about that Indian thing. I remember being surprised to find out that only 6% of Michigan residents are hunters, it seems like there should be more than that. When you think about it, though, 6% of Michigan's population is at least a million people. That's a lot of people, but it's still only 6% of the population. Okay, the combined population of Cheboygan and Emmet Counties is about 40,000. If only 4% of them are Indians, that's about 1600 Indians, which is a lot of Indians, even if it's only 4% of the population. Maybe it's not a lot to a city boy like yourself but, in a town this size, if 1600 Indians came marching down Main Street all at once, people would sit up and take notice. I still might call the nearest tribal headquarters and ask them how many enrolled members they have in our two counties but, for now, I will grant you that we don't have nearly as many Indians as I thought we have. I don't know how we got into this numbers game anyway. My original assertion was that we have all kinds of people, not how many we have of each kind.

I don't know what happened in Illinois with the concealed carry issue, but I believe most states have had some kind of concealed carry law on the books for a long time. What happened in Michigan and, I believe, most of the other states, was that they changed the wording from "may issue" to "shall issue". What this means is that, before, you had to have a good reason to get a concealed carry permit, and now they have to have a good reason to deny you one. To my knowledge, this was all done by state legislation. I have not heard of the U.S. Supreme court being involved in it. They were involved, some years ago, in a case where Washington D.C. wouldn't allow a retired security guard to keep a handgun in his own home. That's when they said the Second Amendment applied to individual gun ownership and not just the state militia, reversing a previous court decision from a long time ago.
I'll have to look this up one of these days, when I get time.

No comments:

Post a Comment