Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2015

school daze again

Republicans do advertise more than democrats.  I don't know personally because I live in a true blue state, so I don't see much advertising except for local races, but your state is purple, possibly magenta, so I imagine you see a lot every election day.  One of the prices you pay for having your vote count is that you have to watch, or at least mute your tv for, those commercials. 

I'm with you on one thing though those commercials are all so similar on both sides and they run them back to back and you hardly know which one is against who.  On the other hand those guys who do the research must have some reason for thinking those commercials are effective.

Here's an article I read last night.  The Koch's are going to back five republicans in the primary and then pick the one they like the best and back him, and then they have their own independent get out the vote operation.  Used to be politicians had to buy a political party, and now they are just building their own.  http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/koch-brothers-2016-election-memo-117238.html?hp=c1_3

There is a thing about minorities.  Some say the reason England and Japan did so well in the world until lately is because they were all the same kind of people, and countries with colonial backgrounds, where the colonizing country drew the borders so that each subdivision had some of each ethnic group in it to keep them from uniting and rebelling.

Well I don't know, we'd have to go over that country by country and I am not sure how that would turn out.

One thing that I think does stand out is none of the European countries has as high a percentage of poor people as the United States, and I think that is because if a Frenchman sees another Frenchman in poverty he wants to help him out, whereas if a white American sees a black American in poverty, he is less likely to identify with him.  Of course now Europeans are getting their share of poor muslim immigrants.

I used to play the lottery all the time, hoping I would hit the big one and be able to quit my job.  Now that I am retired and have enough money to get by on I don't bother.  I bought a ticket once when it went way high, but then I realized that if I won I would have to show my face and some guys would want to kidnap me, and I would end up surrounded by burly body guards.  Well I suppose I could have gotten an all female bodyguard group like Khaddafi had.  Why didn't I think of that?

You don't know that if you give a poor person money they will waste it.  Some of them will get good educations and good jobs.

Schools are getting really complicated in Chicago.  We have magnet schools that everybody is trying to get into, and people don't necessarily have to send their kids to neighborhood schools, there is some complicated system where a certain percentage of kids can switch to certain other schools, and I think most grade school kids vie to get into a high school like high schoolers vie to get into colleges.  And then there are the charter schools who despite getting more money and more motivated students and are more likely to kick out kids that they don't like, don't do any better than the regular schools.

The percentages are something like 45 percent black and 45 percent hispanic and 10 percent white.  White people in general are richer than minorities and they tend to send their kids to private schools, though so do rich blacks and hispanics.

All Chicago schools get an equal amount of money, and poor schools generally get a little more because they are eligible for poverty grants.  The money is less effective because poor kids are so hard to teach.

I think home schoolers are like ten percent concerned parents who want to give their kids a good education and ninety percent holy rollers who don't want no secular education shoved down their throats.

As a collectivist, I don't like home schooling.  I think we should all share the public school experience.  Like I said in the last post, I think we got a good enough education, and from my experience subbing, the kids in the average schools got a good enough education too.

Do you think Sawyer and Gage Park gave you a good enough education?

No comments:

Post a Comment