Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Live and Let Live

I'll check out that link tomorrow. It's kind of late and I'm still reeling from that deer video you sent me. I don't think anybody has ever tried to open an abortion clinic around here, which is probably why I never heard about it.

The reason I brought it up in the first place was to draw a parallel with the gay wedding thing. Just as the Supreme Court forced the abortion law down our throats, but they can't make a girl have one if she doesn't want to, or make a doctor perform one if he doesn't want to, they shouldn't be able to force someone to participate in a gay wedding if they don't want to after they have forced that one down our throats. They have created the right to have an abortion, but they haven't made it compulsory to have one or perform one, at least not yet.

My hypothetical wife was raised Catholic, but she married me in a Protestant church. The local Catholic priest forbade her parents to attend the wedding. They might have gone regardless, but we didn't want to put them in the position of having to make that decision. We didn't want a big fancy wedding anyway, so we had a small ceremony in the church, and then we took the folks out to dinner afterwards. A Catholic should not be forced to attend a Protestant wedding, and a Protestant shouldn't be forced to attend a Catholic wedding. So why should a straight person be forced to attend a gay wedding, or vice versa?

I'm not saying that gays, Blacks, or whoever should be mistreated and abused like they were in the past. I just don't like the way some of them carry on like we should kiss their asses because they are Black, gay, or whatever. I don't expect people to kiss my ass because I'm White, Czech, straight, or whatever. We are all equal under the law, or should be by now, but that doesn't mean I have to like you or you have to like me.

Cheboygan isn't a particularly backward town, in fact the South Side neighborhood we grew up in was more provincial. We've got all kinds of people around here, and most of them mind their own business and don't bother anybody else. What's wrong with that?



No comments:

Post a Comment