Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

They Had Hats?

I didn't know that the tea partiers had hats, and I don't believe I've ever seen a Tea Party demonstration. I heard tell of one on the internet, I think it was shortly after Obama was elected the first time. What I heard was that a whole bunch of them went to Washington D.C. and marched around like a bunch of Hippies. I heard that the news media blanked them out, which is why people were talking about it on the internet. Estimates of their numbers varied between thousands and millions, depending on who was telling the story. I thought at the time that they had made a mistake, putting themselves in the same class as your people.

Some time after that, I read in the newspaper that they had begun to infiltrate the Republican Party, which I thought was a brilliant move. They would go to those boring meetings at the county level and pack the hall with their own people. Our labor union at the paper mill was like that. The meetings were so poorly attended that, if you could mobilize a dozen people, you could dominate the meeting and pass anything that you wanted. The trouble was that two dozen of the opposition would show up at the next meeting and repeal whatever it was you got passed at the last meeting. Maybe that's what's happening with the Republicans now, the Tea Party threat has gotten the establishment types off their asses and down to those boring meetings. While hijacking a major political party might be an overly ambitious undertaking, it beats forming a third party, which just splits the conservative vote and allows the liberals to win.

That's the trouble with the concept of majority rule, there is no majority. There's just these special interest groups that form tenuous alliances with other groups. They might get something passed, but the alliance tends to fall apart after that, and it's back to business as usual. I don't know why the U.S. is stuck in the two party system. It's not a law or anything like that, it's just a tradition. Third parties form from time to time but, as soon as they start to become a force to be reckoned with, one of the two major parties assimilates them.

There are already 19 candidates running for the Republican presidential nomination? The election isn't till next year for Pete's sake! I did hear that our RINO governor is thinking about running. Well, why not? Everybody else is.  I wouldn't vote for him in the primary but, if he gets the nomination, I would have to vote for him against Hillary.

I have heard of that Common Core thing. I'm not sure what the objection is, but I think it has something to do with them re-writing the history books to make the U.S. look like the bad guys. I thought that the liberals did that a long time ago.

If somebody really wants an abortion or a gun, they will get it regardless of what the law says about it. All the regulations do is discourage some of the people who don't really want it all that much. When abortion was illegal in Michigan, our local girls had to go Down Below to get one, and they still do. If abortions could be gotten Down Below when they were prohibited by law, I find it hard to believe that a few chicken shit regulations would make them unavailable.

Although I have never eaten at a Taco Bell, my hypothetical wife, who has, tells me that all their food isn't overly spicy. Neither of us had ever heard of tacos until, on somebody else's recommendation, we tried some back in the 1970s. We decided that they wouldn't be bad if they didn't have that hot sauce on them. My hypothetical wife took one apart and said that she thought she could make something like that  herself and just omit the hot sauce. About the only spice we use on our meat is called "Lawry's Seasoned Salt". It enhances the flavor without overpowering it. She uses a small amount of chili powder in her chili, but none of those little hot peppers that scorch you both coming and going. We like to taste the meat, not the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment