Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Money is the Spice of Politics

You and your ilk are always complaining about all the money the rich people give to the Republicans. (If I have to have an ilk, then you have to have an ilk!)  What politicians need money for is advertising, and I think the Democrats advertise about as much as the Republicans. So who gives the Democrats all of their money? I recently read somewhere that the labor unions, a.k.a. "Big Labor", give a lot of money to the Democrats. If that's true, then you and your ilk better start looking for another source of funding because labor unions seem to be a dying breed in this country. I'm not in favor of that, it's just a fact of life. Anyway, Lyndon Johnson was a Democrat, so what's your point?

I haven't gotten involved in this Common Core thing because it's just school, and the schools are always changing the way they teach things. Today's new math is tomorrow's old math. I seem to remember learning that from you.

The majority of the poor pregnant teenage girls in Michigan don't have to go Down Below to get abortions because they live Down Below. Cheboygan girls have always had to go Down Below to get abortions because none of the doctors around here have ever wanted to do them. I am reminded of a verse from the song "Small Town Blues", written by an old friend of mine back in the 60s:

"My sister went away for a visit,
Word was out that she had missed it.
It was all over town she'd gone to see a doc.
She was visiting her grandma.
Now ain't that a crock?"

I was new in town the first time I heard that song, so I didn't know what he was talking about until somebody explained it to me. It seems that, in those days, any time a teen aged girl went out of town for a few days, the gossip mill churned out the story that she had gone Down Below to get an abortion. I don't know how often the story was true, but the gossip mill churned it out every time regardless.

I guess Bohunks like their spices too, but I think they are different spices. My dad used to put a lot of garlic in his sausage. I don't know what else he used, but I don't remember any of his stuff tasting peppery. It's the pepper that I don't like, both the black pepper that comes from a shaker and those little hot chili peppers. I like sweet bell peppers, but that's not the same thing. Truth be known, I'm not a great fan of exotic food at all. I prefer the good old American stuff like pizza, spaghetti, Polish sausage, bratwurst, and chop suey.

No comments:

Post a Comment