Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2016

Wrapping up the box

Is it a hard and fast rule that objective reality and subjective reality are mutually exclusive ideas?  Objective reality is a dandy concept when you are considering the physical world but I think it falls short when you consider the non-physical world, such as human behavior.and processes.  Depending on the context of matters under discussion I think they can both work, to varying degrees of success.

Perception plays a big part; aren't we all at the centers of our own realities determined by those perceptions?  This is what makes human beings so so frustrating in their individualism.  I don't know if I'm just a simplistic dolt, but it seems to me that perceptions vary wildly among individuals, otherwise we would be in complete agreement in everything and that is not the case.  The quest for the Beaglesonian Unified Reality Theory continues.

-----

In the interest of fair play, here is another critical view of my delusional speculation of the future of AI:  https://www.wired.com/2016/12/artificial-intelligence-artificial-intelligent/

It's going to happen, even if the article puts the time frame in the "far future."  I think it will occur sooner than that and I will wager one dollar (American) it happens within our natural lifetimes.

Maybe it is all science fiction, like the writings of Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, way back when.  There were a lot of ideas that were thought impossible at one time but the relentless spirit of the human mind made them real, and I don't see people giving up just because something is "impossible."

A greater threat than a self-aware AI might lie in the field of nanotechnology.  One writer, Rudy Rucker I believe, wrote something about nanobots escaping a lab and disassembling everything into a gray goo.  Perhaps there are some things we shouldn't be messing with.  The Law of Unintended Consequences is always ready to bite us in the ass.

And God bless the tabloid press!  I read this morning that there are "indications" of structures lying miles beneath the Antarctic ice.  I thought last week's report of a strange object casting a shadow on the moon's surface was the peak of lunacy (see what I did there?) but hidden cities under the ice take the cake.  Did I mention there are connections to the Nazis?  It might be time for the aliens to come out of hiding and straighten everything out.

-----

Uncle Ken clued me in on that orange box mystery.  It only appears on the edit page when you are posting something new.  I ignored it, figuring it had something to do with leaving feedback to the blogspot folks.  Sure enough, I double-clicked it and that is indeed it's purpose.  Unless you have a problem with posting something or have a suggestion it can be ignored.  Did you guys try selecting it to see what happens?

If that orange box ever bothered me I have a Firefox extension that can temporarily get rid of it, called "Hack the Web."  It allows you to select and delete any web page element you desire, especially handy if you want to save and print a page without any ads or extraneous bits of crap.  Other browsers might have something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment