Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Racing in circles

There was more than a trillion dollars worth of high tech bigwigs in the meeting with Trump yesterday which caused me to entertain another silly notion.  Suppose those guys got together and chipped in some dough, say about $50 billion total (cash!), and offered it to Trump if he would step down/aside.  Think he'd take the deal?  Such flights of fancy amuse me.

-----

It took a visit to IMDB to refresh my memory of The Score, which I recall as a good flick.  2001 was a good year for that type of movie; there was also Heist, with Gene Hackman, but I don't know if Uncle Ken would share my positive opinion of it.  We are looking through different eyes and weigh aspects of a film differently.

Same thing with watching motorsports, which I assume Uncle Ken holds in low regard.  I don't understand what he means when he said "And don't they have plenty of crashes with humans driving?  Isn't that the point of the whole thing for Chrissake?"  I take umbrage at any implication that the point of auto racing is crashing.  Heresy, I say!

-----

The type of coffee maker with the little glass bulb on the top is the percolator, very popular until the advent of the Mr. Coffee machines.  Coffee snobs dismiss the percolator as the worst method of brewing coffee;  I don't agree, but Mr. Coffee machines are certainly easier to clean.

Coffee brewing is as much of an art as science, with many different methods available and subtle variables involved.  At one time I roasted my own beans, just for the experience, and I will say the results were superb but not something I choose to do on a regular basis.  Much too smokey and messy, with little bits of chaff floating through the apartment.  Folger's freeze-dried crystals are more than adequate for my current caffeine needs.

-----

Before I undertake any further inquiries into the field of neuroscience, isn't the flow of electrons the only thing that is really going on in the brain?  The interplay of axons, dendrites, neurons, synapses, all controlled by varying chemical reactions generated by glandular secretions, or some such stuff? 

My understanding is that it's all about the connections in the brain, but this is another rabbit hole, isn't it?  Luckily, I just found a web page that can put a lot of this discussion to rest, for the time being, and apologies for the link: https://www.quora.com/What-animals-are-computers-now-smarter-than
\
-----

The Maillard Reaction is what happens when cooked foods become more flavorful, as cited here: http://www.scienceofcooking.com/maillard_reaction.htm

"When it's smoking it's cooking and when it's burnt it's done," one of those things my father said.



No comments:

Post a Comment