Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Enough is Enough

Okay, my ideal distribution of wealth is that everybody has enough to provide the basic necessities of life. If some people have more than enough, that's okay as long as they don't get their "more than enough" by depriving somebody else of their "enough". It's okay for ambitious or competitive people to deprive each other of their "more than enough", as long as they do it by legal and ethical means, but they can't deprive the people who only have enough of what little they have. Conversely, the people who only have enough don't get to steal from the people who have more than enough just because they can afford to lose some of it. How's that Uncle Ken?

I have heard the word "gestalt" before, but I wasn't sure what it meant, so I looked it up in my dictionary, and I still wasn't sure what it meant, something about the whole being more than the sum of its parts. I don't believe I've ever heard the word "umvelt", and I couldn't find that one in my dictionary. They both sound like German words to me, and I do have a German/ English dictionary, so I looked them up in there. "Gestalt" is translated as "form, build, stature, or manner". I couldn't find "umvelt", but I seem to remember that the German word for "world" is "welt". Then I remembered that Germans pronounce the letter "w" as the letter "v", so I looked up "umwelt" and found that it means "environment or milieu". So what Old Dog seems to be saying is that we should have an environment in our structure, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would make more sense to say that we should have a structure in our environment, or a structure to our environment.

The reason I wrote a comment the other day instead of a whole blog post is that I didn't have a lot to say, but I wanted to address that one point.

No comments:

Post a Comment