Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

"Untitled" is still a title

That was a good explanation of natural gas and oil wells, Mr. Beagles.  I didn't realize that natural gas isn't constantly present and only appears sporadically.  I was also wondering why it was being burned off instead of being vented to the atmosphere, since it is lighter than air.  Many reasons, nicely elucidated here:
https://www.earthworksaction.org/issues/detail/flaring_and_venting#.WEZDlX1ypfs

 and here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/457op8/why_is_associated_gas_from_an_oil_well_often/


Perhaps some gypsy glass blowers will appear at the oil fields and take advantage of all that gas merrily burning away.  That would be something you don't see every day.

-----

Having just viewed Finders Keepers I must commend Uncle Ken on his eclectic taste in the cinematic art form.  How does he find such gems?  Maybe he does a Google search for "quirky films," or the Netflix Overmind decided he might like it, based upon "previous viewing choices."  In either case, I never would have found it without his recommendation; it slipped completely beneath my radar and escaped notice.  More, please.

There were quite a few comments about the two main characters on the film's Internet Movie Data Base site, but none mentioned the strange "bone lady," who deserves a documentary of her own.  She seemed like a cheerful Norman Bates, don't you think?

Another odd little film, but not a documentary, is Deterrence.  It deals with the president being stranded in a diner during a snowstorm while events in the Middle East turn critical.  Filmed before 9/11, some aspects are dated and the minimal production is very akin to a stage play but it has it's moments with some thought provoking ideas.  The local salt-of-the-earth types in the diner add a little cringe-worthy humor and some ideas are far fetched (what good are nukes if you don't use them?).  I found it enjoyable and worth viewing but it may not be your cup of tea; consult the reviews before viewing.  Don't blame me if you think it sucks.

-----

There is continuing online chatter about subjective/objective reality, and I've learned a new word that I'll try to use in future seminar conversations: umvelt.  My pointy headed credentials will be indisputable if I can use umvelt and gestalt in the same sentence.  Whether or not differing umvelten cause conflict within the Institute's gestalt, I don't know.  As long as the discussions remain reasonable there shouldn't be a problem.

-----

I'll shut up now about reading the fine print; comments are so rare that I have taken it for granted that there will be no comments, ever.  When I saw there was a comment, I though "Huzzah!  A newcomer to the fold!"  But no, it was only Mr. Beagles adding a thought.  A different blog site would have had a big, animated graphic (with sound) to announce such a rare occurrence.  Perhaps someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment