Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Saturday bonus!

Nighttime US
Okay, gents, this is something that I've noticed on a lot of maps over the years and I can't figure it out.

It's a natural human tendency to see patterns where none really exist but it sure looks like there is some kind of dividing line going on.  I know it's linked to population, but why is there such a dramatic drop off?  It isn't like there is some giant natural barrier; I would think there should be a more gradual transistion.

Printrbot 3D printers
Any ideas?  I threw in that magnetic declination map to add a new level of weirdness; it probably doesn't really mean anything, but...


Trump voters in red


Subway sandwich shops
Magnetic declination

1 comment:

  1. I think that it mostly has to do with the availability of water. I once read somewhere that most of the agricultural land in the East has been drained to make it suitable for crops, while most of the farm land in the West has to be been irrigated. Also, a lot of the West is mountainous, which may have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete