Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Peace, Land, and Bread

That was the Commies' campaign slogan when they were trying to take over Russia. I have to admit that it has a nice ring to it and that I might have bought it myself if I had lived in those times. I read somewhere that FDR was a fan of Stalin even before World War II, and also that he was quoted as saying, "Some of my best friends are Communists." In those days it was cool to be a Communist in some American social circles, it didn't become un-cool until after the war.

I seem to remember Sixta's Bakery in the old neighborhood, but I don't remember if we ever shopped there. I do remember being sent by my mother to Donna's Delicatessen on 52nd and Whipple for bread and milk and things like that. They had all kinds of bread there, including Bohemian and Russian rye. That must have been after my dad closed his store, because we got everything there when it was in operation. I don't remember exactly when Dad closed his store and went in business with Grandpa Liska and three uncles, one of which wasn't really my uncle, but it must have been sometime in the 1950s.

All baguettes are French bread, but not all French bread are baguettes. I thought so, but I looked it up to be sure. A baguette is the iconic long skinny loaf of French bread, but the French also make other kinds of loaves, although I think it's basically the same bread no matter what kind of loaves it's made into.

I agree with Old Dog that texture is a big part of what makes food appealing, especially bread. My bread has more texture than the store bought varieties, although I have not been able to duplicate the chewy crust commonly found on artisanal breads. I think it's because I bake my bread in bread pans, which is easier than baking it on a cookie sheet or other flat surface. The professional baker that I told you about said that there is a trick to kneading bread in such a way that it maintains its shape while baking on a flat surface. He tried to explain the technique to me, but I didn't get it. I think I would have to be shown, and then do it myself with supervision the first time.

Rutabagas are better after they have been frozen and thawed. I am told that the old timers used to leave them in the garden all winter, going out to get some as needed. Nowadays the deer and other critters would likely get to them before you did but, in the olden days, any critter that came near the house would be served up with the rutabagas for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment