Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2022

Catching Up

 My wife had cataract surgery last fall on opening day of deer season, having had the other eye done seven years previous.  I didn't mind as much as I thought I would.  My enthusiasm for deer hunting has not yet recovered from my labors with that big fat doe I shot the year before.  I guess it's true what they say:  "You know you're old when work is not as much fun as it used to be, fun is a lot more work that it used to be, and it takes you longer to rest up than it took you to get tired."

My grandmother used to put sugar on sauerkraut too.  She didn't make her own, she just bought the canned stuff in the store, rinsed the brine off of it, and added a little sugar.  I was never a great fan of sauerkraut, but I did like Grandma's version of it.  I don't think I would like kimchi either, from the sound of it.

The closest version of Uncle Ken's song I know was popular around Sawyer Elementary School in the early 1950s, undoubtedly left over from World War II.

"My country tis of thee, sweet land of Germany.  My name is Fritz.                                         I am a German spy, caught by the FBI, my name will never die.  My name is Fritz."

Another one of the same era:

"Whistle while you work, Hitler is a jerk.                                                                                   Mussolini bit my weenie, now it doesn't work."                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment