Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

They Don't Make Comics Like They Used To

 I still read the comics out of habit, but I don't think I would miss them if they were gone. Among my favorites used to be Peanuts, Cathy, Calvin and Hobbes, and another one about a smart aleck kid whose name I don't remember. No, it was certainly not Dennis the Menace.  I also liked Prince Valiant, although I didn't understand half of it in my younger days.  Some time ago, I started buying a series of books that contained all of the episodes from day one.  I bought them mostly for the artwork, but I found that I understood the plots much better now than I used to.  I stopped buying them after I had all the episodes by the original creator, Hal Foster.  I also have a three-volume set of The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.  

Speaking of historical fiction, here is a really old joke that I repurposed to fit the current situation.  Only the names of the nationalities have been changed. I believe the original ones were Poles and Lithuanians.  

Once upon a time, there were two islands a couple miles apart.  One island was the home of a thousand Russians, and a single Ukrainian lived on the other.  One day 10 of the Russians set out for the other island to kick the lone Ukrainian's ass, and they never returned.  Then a hundred Russians followed after them for the same purpose, and they never returned.  Finally, all of the remaining Russians set forth, except for one guy who was too sick to participate.  When they didn't return either, the sick guy, who was feeling better by now, went over to see what had happened to all his comrades.  When he got there, he saw dead Russians laying all over the place, and one who was still barely alive.  He asked him what had happened, and the guy's dying gasp was, "Go back!  Go Back! There's two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment