Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2022

gimmers of hope

 This war has been obsessing me,  I tune into CNN every morning and leave it on.  If I go out I am thinking of how is the war going, and I am back to it first thing when I get back.  In the evenings I feel bad about viewing my Netflix, and before I turn in, I go back to CNN for five or ten minutes to catch up, then I go to sleep listening to the BBC on NPR, and when I wake up it's right back to CNN.

I looked it up and it's been eight days.  Everybody figured it would be over in a couple, so there is some glimmer of hope.  There have been considerable demonstrations in Russia, which is encouraging.  But polls say two thirds of Russkies are for the war, but the public soon loses interest in wars that go bad.  There have been some oligarchs coming out against the war, but none of them are in Putin's tight inner circle.  Come to think of it I wonder if there is anybody besides Putin in his inner circle?

I was surprised about members of the Russian Federal Security Service (which google tells me is the successor to the KGB), alerted the Ukrainians to that assassination attempt.  Was that the whole organization or just some whistle blowers like our man Vindman, who blew the whistle on Trump for holding up military aid that congress had voted for Ukraine unless they would smear Hunter Biden, and Trump fired him and his brother too over that.  That is what the second impeachment was about, a treasonous deed that only seven out of fifty republican senators found to be treasonous.  The same republicans, I might add who are now pissing about Biden's war efforts though none dare say a word against Trump even to this day.

Though I personally would be all for hoisting them all on their stinking petards Biden is basically ignoring them because this is no time to act divided.  This is to his credit, and may even help him in his sinking poll numbers.

But this is about more than political advantages as those scenes of the suffering Ukrainians which Beagles and I find so painful attest.


But now NPR has gone into pledge drive mode so I have switched to CNN and there is the map of Ukraine with those bloody red areas and those dark black arrows piercing inwards from Russia, Belarus, and the Black Sea. but there is a glimmer of hope in the words of the expert about the prowess of the Russian army, incompetent, untrained, clumsy, blundering, and there is your glimmer of hope.  

I still have a lot more to say, but it will have to wait until Monday morning.  Until then I will be watching and hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment