Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2022

A Strange Little War

 I have been too busy reading to write the last few days.  As a former military man, I am more interested in the tactics and logistics than I am in the human-interest stories, partly because I find it painful to dwell on the human-interest stories.  I have been searching for some glimmers of hope in all of this but haven't found anything I could hang my hat on.  The tenacity and resourcefulness of the Ukrainians continues to amaze me.  I wonder if my fellow Americans would acquit themselves so bravely in a similar situation. 

I find the foiling of the assassination plot against Zelenskyy particularly interesting.  It seems that the Ukrainians were tipped off by "members of the Russian Federal Security Service who do not support the war".  Could this be a crack in the wall?  One can only hope.

Then there's that 40-mile-long convoy that has been stalled on the road to Kyiv for days.  Are they out of gas or just awaiting further orders?  Rumor has it that some Russian soldiers have been sabotaging their own vehicles, but that has not been confirmed, at least not yet.  Some Russians who surrendered early on reported that they were deployed on short notice without being told where they were going or what they were supposed to do when they got there.  Also early on, Ukrainians were asked to take down street signs and remove their house numbers to make it harder for the invaders to find their way around.  Is it possible the convoy is just lost?  A strange little war indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment