Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Typewriters and Elevators

Thanks for the challenge, Old Dog, here is the promised Post.  Thanks too Ken for fixing the access issue whatever it was you seem to have done the trick.  So here is my first post, then. Not a proper story this time as I'm just getting going, but I anticipate that my fingers will warm up to it after a while.

That crowd of wild and yelling anti-vaxxers, it's a conundrum. I don't know about you, but I do have at least one aquaintance who is an anti-vaxxer, and I was not able to influence them out of it, to my chagrin. There is a large amount of money that the influencers out there are making off their misinformation and this is contributing to the overall movement, I fear.   Since the influencers are making money they are going to keep egging on their own crowd.  The attention heaped upon them by media just encourages them to be wilder and wilder over time, hense the costumes and funny hats, because it sells the spotlight.  Not sure what can really be done about them except to not encourage them.  "Don't feed the trolls," doesn't always work though.

In elevators, sometimes (at work) when I was feeling yelled-at or otherwise down I'd just walk in and continue to face the back, not turn around. We all have probably had days like that.  :(. Most days I would say, "Hi," to a person if I was the Host, though.  It's useful to have a short (30-sec) success story to tell, else I would typically remark about the weather, or something up-beat. Our elevators at work had no buttons inside.  You had to tell the computer the floor on the outside in order to call the elevator. Isn't that interesting? Inside there was only a numeric floor number display. Nothing to press (except emergency stop panic button.)

Our pack is locked inside today with our appliances due to a snowstorm here in Boston (a foot or two today.) So I can spend a little time reading a good book, and some typing.  The image you shared of an accordian reminded me that when I was around ten or so years old, we had two old typewriters hanging around. This would have been in the early 1970s or so, when my Mom was typing up some letters for a while for my Dad who was trying his hand at small-business at the time.  She was a great fast typist having done it for a living for a while in offices.

I was just amazed at the way it worked. It being an old heavy Underwood from the early 1940s, and totally mechanical you could see all of the linkages and all these tiny springs and hinge points. For someone who is 10 or 12 or so and stuck in the house with snow, this was just amazing to look at.  I was asking my Mom all about it and she showed me how to type on it. The key-travel distance was amazingly long compared to the tiny movement of today's computer keyboards. I'm was surprised at how difficult it was to press each key down hard enough that it would leave a mark on the paper.  My Mom won new respect for me that week for certain.  Additionally, you had to learn to press all the keys at the same rate, even though your pinkie isn't as strong as your index finger, you had to press your pinkie smartly and your index finger lightly, in order that your Fs don't appear distractingly darker than your As.  So all of this took lots of practice.  Pretty sure it took me all day just to write one paragraph.  I think I recall that one of the two typewriters was broken (just dirty) and I was able to fix it through basic mechanical cleanup and a bit of light oiling.

It's interesting how all things build upon each other sometimes, such as legos or in Tetris.  I actually leaned into it and learned how to type properly, with my Mom encouraging me. I think by the time I was thirteen I was typing over 25wpm, and it's all just speed practice from there.  When I got my first computer and got into programming in ninth grade or so, I was one of the only ones in the class who could type without looking, and so I was always done my assignments very quickly.   Programming requires lots of special characters, not just the home row keys therefore the discipline my Mom gave me to learn all of those really paid off when I first began programming.   She's still with us; I'll remind her my thanks today over morning coffee!  She still has one typewriter back home filed away, some where.


I eventually (decades later) did a lot of work in computers, so that influenced me.  The fact that I did learn to type was influencial in my life for sure, I'm glad I got into it back then, before it was really A Thing.   Today one can still find these 1940s typewriters in local Craigslistings for $100 or so.  They are really engineering marvels considering the time. Thanks for the image you shared!  

My bark of appreciation: Woof.         - Boxer

4 comments:

  1. So, is that typewriter riff a cut&paste job from your Baker Hill blog? I noticed it was posted there a few hours earlier and I am curious about such minutiae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote the longer posting here first, then posted just the typewriter snippet of it there, and then came back here and fixed the posting title (probably this edit altered the "posting" time stamp.) At first I couldn't figure out where the title went, which after learning it seems silly and simple to me, now. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you out there, a fine post.

    ReplyDelete