Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2022

Let's be careful out there

...and on the way I will be reading my New Yorker and I will not be looking up from my article every five minutes and wondering Gee is that really true.

NEWSFLASH...
"Elderly gent still unconscious after refusing to surrender his copy of The New Yorker.  More as story develops."

Just trying to save your life, Uncle Ken.  Situational awareness is important in any enclosed form of public transportation, especially if the odor of Pale Ale is present.  There are some tricks that I'm sure you are aware of and if you tell me you can kick Chuck Norris' ass, I'll believe you.

-----

I still don't know what to call the new digs but something along the lines of Baby Boomer Biltmore or The Grand Geezer Hotel seem to be in the right direction.  But don't be fooled by the deceptive nature of the photo, Uncle Ken; the place is hardly well kept (and the wood floor is fake).  There are more than a dozen boxes that I'm still going through.  My method of packing was to grab an empty box, fill it up until it's almost too heavy to carry comfortably, and then remove a little stuff to make it a tad lighter.  No wrapping, cushioning. sorting, or special treatment.  The first load was bathroom stuff, an easy load with one box.  The next load was kitchen stuff, many more boxes.  The cloth bags from supermarkets are real handy, too, good for stuff like cast iron or lots of fiddly little stuff.  Dump the crap in and start moving, blah, blah, blah.

But the unpacking and sorting process is fun with lots of treasures being discovered, many things that have been forgotten for decades.  With all this talk of vaccines I was amused to find my old military shot record.  I never get flu shots but it seems I had a bunch of them in the Army, along with shots for polio, yellow fever, cholera, plague, tetanus, and maybe something more.

Another thing I found was my old college transcripts and it is very likely that Mr. Beagles has earned a whopping seven semester hours of college credit because of his time in the Army.  One semester hour for Hygiene (!), two semester hours for P.E., and four hours for electives.  Since I also took a couple of classes while overseas to knock down some electives I managed to get a total of thirteen semester hours while putting in my two years, nine months, and twenty four days.  That, along with the early out to attend summer school allowed me to graduate a semester early, a fine deal all around.

-----

Looks like the Boston Boxer Boy sneaked in for another comment.  When is he going to get off the porch and run with the big dogs?

-----

And just another treasure from the archive...
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I can play one single riff on the accordian; enough to enjoy it. When I was young I remember trying my Dad's... I must have been five as I had to severely arch my back in order to get the bottom of it off the floor even with the straps at their shortest; the adults got quite a laugh out of it! Wish I had a picture of that. Thanks for the memories !

    ReplyDelete