Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2022

A Question of Priorities

 Yes, they still had some folk music, but there was less and less of it every year, and more and more of the other stuff.  Call it blues, jazz, pop, or whatever, it's all rock and roll to me.  I don't need to camp out for three days just to hear three hours of the kind of music I like, I can do that in the comfort of my home.  

Another consideration was that I wasn't getting any younger, and everything I did consumed more of my time and energy than it used to.  I had to set priorities in order to keep doing some of the things I wanted to do.  It's like the old saying goes:  "You know you're old when work is not as much fun as it used to be, fun is more work than it used to be, and it takes you longer to rest up than it took you to get tired."

I never made any money with my music. I barely broke even on "Hold Back the Dawn".   I never intended to make a career out of it, I just did it for fun, and when it stopped being fun, I stopped doing it.  I don't remember ever doing a whole set by myself at the festival or any of the associated events.  There were a couple of times that I was on the stage with several other people, and we took turns, but mostly I would fill in between while one act was clearing the stage and the next act was setting up.  Okay, there was "Tellebration", which was mostly a storytelling event interspersed with some music.  We did that for 15 years before it was discontinued for lack of attendance.  It was quite popular at first, I guess people just got tired of it, or maybe they developed other priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment