Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2022

monday morning bric and brac

 There is the time that I had my nose buried in my magazine and was accosted by a young lady.  But I have told that several times here already.  Of course Free Boxer has not heard it, and think Gentlemen, a whole new pair of ears for our tired old stories.  But I have a full plate this morning, so I will bring it up later.

I like Grand Geezer, but it's not a hotel, Grand Geezer Estates maybe?

That is a beautiful instrument.  Do you own that?  After I had shed the abominable squeezebox my older sister, who had foolishly shown some interest in it, was saddled with it, and when she finally shed it, it went to a family friend whose child actually became some sort of musician, but there was some kind of misunderstanding or maybe downright thievery, and we were never remunerated properly and Mom never forgot.


Speaking of instruments, that is a fine one Free Boxer is showing.  I remember them being around, but I never owned one.  I had one of those plastic portables which did the job well enough, but I was glad to see computers take over the work and leave behind the erasers and brushes and liquids and tape.  But Oh, I do miss that ding when the carriage hit the end.


I hate talking to machines,  My computer has that Cortana circle which I never have touched and never will.  Unfortunately my phone is a chatterbox and some assistant or something is always trying to start up a conversation, just something to annoy me or confuse me so that I will buy something,  That's all those phones really want, to take your money.  

How is removing the buttons on an elevator any improvement?  Well I guess it removes the threat of the bratty kid that pushes every button, but how often did that happen, and couldn't he just count out loud and get the same results?  Seems like whiz bang just to be whiz bang if you ask this elderly gent who would rather keep his nose in his magazine than chat with an elevator.  


I'm interested in what kind of programming Free Boxer does.  I took some courses in Fortran, Cobol, Assembler, Pascal, and that way cool C, trying to get a cool job as a cool programmer.  When I finally got my computer job I did it all in that dbase 3 programming language which was not quite running with the big dogs.  I did a lot of programming for fun at home with Basic, and am deeply disappointed that that no longer exists, and indeed there is no programming language to fool with on pc's.  I don't know why.


Actually Fox is not that bad early in the day.  If you get away from their news(?) shows they are not too bad.  When I was saying news what I meant was what's in your daily paper and on the evening news,  computer news feeds are a little problematic, but if you read a lot you can tell who is doing the news and who is doing the hooey.


If a person has some kind of medical reason not to get vaxxed, that is fine, but I don't know if any of those other reasons have any validity in my eyes.  And certainly anybody spreading anti vax bullshit is inexcusable.


We got maybe six inches yesterday, which the local news crews went gaga about as is their nature, but then the storm traveled about a thousand miles east and blam and blooie.  Seems that's the way the storms have been going all winter, going north or south of us or not having their full strength until they hit the coast.

Well we heartlanders have always felt that the midwest was where god meant us to live.  Nice and flat and plenty of water and no hurricanes or earthquakes.  Just a few tornadoes now and then to keep us on our toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment